This is a quick go to lunch or late evening meal for us. I’ve made this sandwich so many times. Always a hit and so filling. If late in the evening serve with a light side or none. If serving for lunch, I have served it with a pasta or potato salad, refried beans, kettle cooked chips. There are so many choices. Keep in mind this can be a very heavy meal (believe it or not).
World’s Greatest Sandwich
- 3-4 slices of bacon
- 2 slices of Monterey Jack cheese or your preference
- 2 slices of toasted rustic country loaf bread (when feeling really bad, I use large croissants)
- 1 tbsp of mayo
- 4 tomato slices
- 2 leaves of butter lettuce (I have used a variety of lettuce and they’re all wonderful)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1-2 eggs, depending upon the size bread you’re using
I have put my own little twist on this sandwich. I add thin slices of red onion, pickled jalapenos and deli meat (heated).
1. Cook the bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels.
2. Place slices of cheese on one side of toasted bread. Place in toaster oven or under broiler to melt.
3. Spread mayo on other slice of bread top with bacon, sliced tomato, and lettuce.
4. On non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Fry egg, turning over briefly when the bottom is set (keep yolk runny).
5. Slide finished egg on top of lettuce, top with other slice of bread (cheese-side down).
6. Place sandwich on plate and slice in half, letting yolk run down sandwich.