3 cup self rising flour
1/2 cup lard or shortening
3/4 cup buttermilk, possibly more
2 Tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cut lard into flour using a pastry blender or fork. Add enough buttermilk to make a soft dough and knead until smooth (do not over knead as this will lend a tough biscuit).
- With floured hands pinch off a bit of the dough and roll into a ball, lightly flatten in a greased iron skillet or pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter when removed from the oven.
Country Black Pepper Gravy
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk, plus 1-2 tablespoons additional for your preference
- 1/2 – 1 Tbsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 – 1 Tbsp pepper, or to taste
- In small saucepan, melt butter.
- Once butter is melted, add the flour and stir. It will clump up and become thick.
- Slowly add the milk, a little at a time and stir to incorporate. Stir continuously. The gravy will go from looking like thick mashed potatoes to gravy consistency once all of the milk has been added.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.