This is a meal I grew up eating and my daughter loves it as well as her children! To me, this dish is best when served with mashed potatoes and cornbread. But, my grand children loves it served with mac-n-cheese. It may be simple but is so filling and packed with flavor.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 2 15 oz cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 14.5 oz cans sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 head of cabbage
- Microwave cabbage in water until leaves are “wilted” – tender.
- In a bowl combine ground beef, egg, salt, pepper, onion, uncooked rice and set to the side.
- Remove cabbage from microwave and drain.
- Unroll leaves from cabbage and begin filling them vein side down, with about a 1/4 cup (or a ” tennis ball size meatball”) of the ground beef mixture. Rolling and tucking until closed.
- In large stockpot, cover bottom with sauerkraut and tomatoes. Add cabbage rolls topped with remaining tomatoes and sauerkraut, add enough water covering cabbage rolls. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and simmer for about 1 hour.